Shaw Nature Reserve

Henry Shaw owned the land that our house was built on in 1905. He is also responsible for the Missouri Botanical Garden and Tower Grove Park, both blocks from our home. The Nature Reserve is land that he obtained for preservation reasons. It is full of praries, wetlands, wild flowers, ponds, creeks, and lots of birds and wildlife. We've seen snakes and deer and a pileated woodpecker (Karen will correct my spelling I'm sure.). It is beautiful all times of the year. One of the very first pictures we posted on the blog of Olivia in the middle of the daffodils was taken here last April. Thousands of them fill the fields every spring.


I took about six pictures of Mike in front of this same hill - all no good. And while I may look like I am storing nuts in my cheeks for the winter, his picture was great. He says that a picture can be like a sermon - when you try to focus on too much, you don't really notice the real subject. It can only be about one main thing. (He can correct my rough paraphrase, but I think you get the point.) How is it that all that dead stuff can still be so beautiful?
Oooo...couldn't you just love him up!

1 comment:

Jonathan, Jennifer, Will and Jack said...

It's fun to see what Joseph is starting to look like and this is a good shot of him.