About a Thanksgiving

A short(ish) story in (mostly) pictures. We spent a lot of time building anticipation for Thanksgiving this year. We've been eating pumpkin dishes for weeks (above: pumpkin french toast with cranberry sauce). We've been filling our bowl of blessings. We've been learning about the pilgrims and whatnot. The week before Thanksgiving some friends invited us over for some of their activities. Below: we dressed as the Indians for a canyon first thanksgiving picnic. We ate grilled cheese and cranberry sandwiches, popcorn, apples, and pumpkin cookies. The canyons are one of the few places around here where you feel like you can get out into nature.

A confused Indian.


That is my favorite kind of palm tree. There is a whole little grove of them in this canyon.




I always remember watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade when I was a kid - so that is what we did...well, they did mostly while I was cooking.
My first turkey (not Joseph). I was nervous, but it turned out pretty good. I had a little 2 hours into it coaching from my mother that seemed to do the trick.

I took a picture of it before we cut it, but the memory card wasn't in the camera.
This is my new favorite green bean casserole recipe. No cans of anything in it and it is so tasty!


Olivia really liked the cranberry relish.
As always, just happy to be here.

We tried to invite dinner guests, but everyone had plans. Even our homeless friends - who would have thought. We missed our family, but all in all it was a special day of new traditions...that I am sure (if I am my mother's daughter) we will change next year.

3 comments:

sammye said...

Looks like a great start to me. Everything looked wonderful and i'm sure tasted great. Loved all the pics especially the one of O. licking her plate.Thanks for all the great pictures.

Cora said...

it looked lovely! i love your idea for the thanksgiving picnic and the popcorn. i hope to be so intentional one day :). xoxo

sbh said...

i'm completely interested in that green bean casserole recipe. i love love that casserole but could do without all the cans, too! Audrey would be so proud of me : )