The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth

If you (and by "you" I mean the 5 people who still read this blog) ever wonder what homeschooling looks like, this is it...one day in five.  We usually have one day each week where we are on a roll - attitudes are good, motivation is high, organization is thorough.  The other four days of the week I often find myself asking, "Why are we doing this, again?" But those 'on' days make it so worth it.  And the other four days usually have hidden blessings of their own.  I've learned to apply a friend's advice about feeding my babies to homeschool.  She said, if they get a balanced diet over the course of a week, it does not really matter if one day they reject all food but Gold Fish and manage to find and eat an old, hidden package of Twizzlers left over from Halloween.  So, some homeschools days are Gold Fish days and some are green smoothie days.  I am learning to consider the big picture.  A few months ago (because I am, again, behind on the blog), we studied and re-enacted as you will see, the coronation of Queen Elizabeth the I.  Everyone took parts, Greta being the obvious assignment to Lizzy. 

First, the research and reading.

The gathering of materials - jewels for the Queen.


Dressing the Queen


Be serious


Preparing her carriage and the royal path way and gathering the crowd


Ready for the procession




Receiving the royal flowers


Sitting for the gifts of music 


Then, I believe it was out to the porch for some poetry readings.
Three cheers for a green smoothie home school day!!!

2 comments:

Taylor said...

May I ask how often your containers look like that with the pens/markers/crayons?? I bought some, have had the idea, not implemented it yet but can't seem to get them to stay together for a minute in anything. Currently they are in a plastic rubbermaid drawer and EVERY time Max is able to get to the marker drawer!!! Ugh! Where do you keep them when they are not in use?? High High away from little hands??

Michael and Mandy said...

That is EXACTLY why I took that picture. I dream about them looking like that and they never do! I had to document. I should have taken pictures a few months ago when Greta was emptying everything in sight into large boxes and baskets. All the crayons, pencils, markers, dominoes, pattern blocks - everything! I do keep them high - unless I need her to be occupied and then I just let her make the mess.