"But, the child that Is born on restful Sunday...

...is happy and cheerful and loves to play."
I've never known a girl to love her birthday so much.  Except maybe me.  It's barely daylight.  A candle still gives obvious light.  Her eyes are still swollen with sleep.  But the day is here and she has been living for it since last October 23rd.  

I sometimes think it is unfair for kids to be the recipient of all their parents' parental failures.  Should they not have been born to experts, or semi-pros at least?  They did not request their birth.   Yet, they were given birth...and to sinners no less.  We are all recipients of one another's failures I suppose.  It has how God has provided for our strengthening, learning.  I pray often that God would use our failings to teach our children.  To strengthen their faith, not scar it.

I have these thoughts the most over this child right here.  I used to assume we were just alike and treat her that way.  Then I had the insight to back off of those presumptions for a while and try to get to know her.  I am still working on that.  In pretty significant ways I am still learning to live fueled by God's grace to me and not my own efforts.  I am a strive-er and often feel like I am raising my children to strive.  "You have to practice self control," I say.  "You just have to be disciplined and do it," I teach.  "You just have to....have to...have to..."

Jesus did, Olivia Frances.  He did it and it was enough.  And I will try to remind you (and myself) of this as often as I can.  HB, Sister.






 Icing cupcakes for anyone who happens to stop by on her birthday.  (That's our friend, Rachel, not me.  Sweet friend who just had her own little boy.)


The birthday support team:




Maybe these flowers display Olivia just about right. Bright, and strong and friendly.


No comments: