Favorite Things

I had a rude awakening Thursday morning when I rose to face the day 8 "hands" short of what I had the previous five days to help with my children. We just returned from a visit with my family in Tennessee and I say "hands" because four of them were actually paws. Lucy, my parents' dog entertained Olivia more than the rest of us put together. The past couple days of transition really haven't been bad. We have had a few moments of mayhem though - just enough to remind me how desparately short of patience I am and how selfish I can be. I do need the Holy Spirit to continue his work in me.

But last evening was quite sweet. Mike is on a retreat with some men in our church and, before heading over to a friend's house to hang out with some girl friends, I thought I would go for a run with the kids. (I have six weeks to train for a 10K. I've never run a 5K! I've never run any sort of long distance race for that matter.) I wish I could say I was motivated by discipline. The truth is everyone was fussin' and whinin' (not to be confused with shuckin' and jivin') and it was too early to go to our friend's. So, on this beautiful, almost Fall evening I tossed the kids in our new, used, steal of a deal double jog stroller and we headed to Tower Grove Park. They were content! Olivia with her hands full of rocks (she is finally picking up on the hunting for "treasures" idea) and Joseph with his pudgey little legs crossed at the ankles.

Not 20 feet into the park I hear what sounds like a high school pep band. I love pep bands! This is going to be a good run. Then, another 20 yards or so and I hear a saxophone player! I am running to a personal sound track it seems. I recognize the song he is playing as one of my favorites from Sound of Music - which we just introduced Olivia too last week. Now she starts shuckin' and jivin'. (Not quite shuck and jive music, but nevertheless.) Then, believe it or not, Joseph starts singing. I am being serenaded! Granted he doesn't know the words, but I do and that's what makes it all the better..."I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad."

James 1:18
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change."

P.S. The pep band? Not a pep band at all. It was a wedding at the Center Cross music pavillion. They were playing "Forever God is Faithful." As my daughter would say, "Oooh, niiice."

There is Joseph, singing again - "Come get me. I'm hungry!" Check back later this afternoon for pictures from our trip.

2 comments:

Sage said...

yea! for you for getting up and going running like that! and for finding joy in the (what seems like) little things.

Audrey Woita said...

Praise God for his mercies which are new every morning. How fun it must have been as your experience grew from merely getting out to run (a feat in itself) to hearing music, Olivia dancing and Joseph singing...!

I was blessed by reading abou the joy the Lord gave you.