The same, but different

For the past three years, in true Griswold fashion, we have ventured out to cut down our own Christmas trees. It is things like this that make me thankful for Mike. He is good at carrying on traditions. Often times I am a minimalist and if things seem like they might be complicated or, let's just be honest - I am feeling tired, I'll choose the path of least...effort. Mike is right in the middle of his ordination preparations and so I thought we might do better to just visit our local Lowe's...for Mike's sake. But upon his encouragement, I Googled local tree farms, he worked late and we all took off for about 3 hours one morning last week to find the McBride Family Christmas Tree. I am so glad we did.
As you can see, everyone has their own idea of the perfect tree. Mike inspects the price tag. Olivia checks out the size. And Joseph, as always, just happy to be here. And you might be asking, "Aren't those trees pre-cut?" Why, yes they are. The "cut your owns" were Monterrey Pines and we knew nothing about them (where my Googling fell a bit short). They have long, feathery needles and their branches were kind of thin. They were really pretty trees, but I was afraid our ornaments would slide right off. So we opted for the pre-cut Noble Fir.
It was fun to see how different our experience was this year. No fields of green grass and ponds with geese on them or lush mountains in the distance. Last year I think it was overcast and spitting snow. This year we walked 14 dirt acres and looked at bouldered, desert mountains in the distance, and though there was a chill in the air (maybe 65 degrees :) ), the sun shone brightly. It was beautiful, but different.

Inspection


Wait 'til you see it decorated.

1 comment:

sammye said...

That is a Pyracantha that Olivia is looking at. Love Joe's "red" hair. Oh yeah, and the trees are nice too. And Mike of course. :)