Trimming the tree

Having children causes so many things to come into clearer focus...or at least for you to force them into clearer focus. Here they are - babies with a little genetic bit of you and a little genetic bit of him and a lot of Adam. I would love it if they were blank slates of purity, awaiting our righteous writing. But not only are they born as sinners, we (the parents) are not particularly righteous...and so there is this tension. They need to be taught, exposed, wooed away from their sin and toward Righteousness. Yet, I am constantly fighting my own unrighteousness. And the World is fighting hard for them.

While I know that the call of Christ prohibits us from running and hiding, I am feeling a heavier and heavier burden to protect...well, maybe not protect, but to infuse with everything good and perfect and holy that I can. Whether I am doing nothing or doing everything, the World is infusing - constantly. Try picking out a few Christmas books from the library. We talk every day about the coming of Christ in some form or another and yet what grabs her attention? Asking Santa for presents...because that was in one of the books. She found a sugar daddy...and all she has to do is write a letter. "Come on, Mandy. What's the big deal? Let her be a kid. Let her believe in Santa." I can't. If leading her away from Greed and Selfishness and toward Generosity and Compassion is depriving her of her childhood, then so be it.

She will be just as excited on Christmas morning to see the thoughtfully wrapped presents from her grandparents - picked out for her because they love her and know her and pray for her - than she would be if we told her Santa threw them down the chimney (because there is no way he is getting down our chimney - the fire is constantly ablaze these days because the furnace is broken).

Every day these days, Olivia and Joseph come to battle over something, anything it seems sometimes just for the heck of it. It is a constant gentle (and sometimes not so gentle) prodding toward generosity and patience and love for one another. I get a lump in my throat this minute over it. I get so discouraged - by my own frustrated response, by their seeming lack of love for each other, by their greediness...and my own. I just can't bring something else in that competes for Jesus' attention.

I don't know how this will continue to shape our holidays and our regular routine, but be sure that it will. I need the help. We all need more of Jesus and less of ourselves. And I take courage in the fact that they were not just born with our genetic little bits and Adam's sin, but eternity was etched on their hearts by their Maker and it will call to them, sometimes maybe just a whisper, but it will call to them every day they walk this earth.

So, this was supposed to be about trimming the tree...hmm. We did trim it. And Olivia and Joseph danced to one of my favorite Christmas movies - White Christmas - a movie making no claim of Jesus, but still exemplifying generosity, sacrifice, and love for others more than yourself (did you know I could pull that out of White Christmas - watch it, you'll see). And we drank hot cider out of...not out of Christmas mugs because I forgot I sold them in the yard sale before we moved, dumb.


Not exactly Danny Kaye and Vera-Ellen.

It is only their love for Jesus that will give them everything they need in this life. It does not matter how much they love me, or I them. Oh, that they would see Jesus.

3 comments:

Amy Veerman said...

Great post. Random thoughts:
Books..."Christmas Day in the Morning" by Pearl S Buck. Maybe a bit beyond them for a few years but you'll cry everytime you read it.
Santa...Theology aside, our kids enjoy Christmas just as much w/o him as other kids who do believe in him. He doesn't add that much.
Good movies...don't forget about the Grinch (cartoon)--lonely, stingy thief observes true, non-material Christmas celebration, has change of heart, forgiven by offended party, and drawn into celebration. A step in the right direction.

Melissa Joy said...

Thanks for the post---your honesty and true desire for Jesus is encouraging to me!
Thanks Amy (even though I've never met you) for not making me feel like a sappy mom. I just read "Christmas Day in the Morning" to my son and was crying through the whole ending!

Michael and Mandy said...

Christmas Day in the Morning is sitting in our book box - we just haven't gotten to it yet. I've never read it. We will today!