Urban romping


We love living in the city, though I used to bemoan my children missing out on romping about in the woods like we used to as kids.  I remember this one house on our street (feels funny to say street and not block), where a huge wooded area backed up to their back yard.  Her (AJ was her name) dad had hung a rope swing about 40 feet up in a tree back there.  I remember the day the rope broke and AJ was on it.  I think that was the only time I ever saw her cry.  She was tough.  They also had a huge pit back there where people from all over the neighborhood would dump their leaves.  There happened to be a tree that arched over the pit - perfect as a high dive of sorts.  I remember the day my step sister jumped of the tree into the leaves and held her nose.  I think I laughed until my stomach hurt.

Anyway, once I quit moaning and started looking around, I realized there are plenty of romp-able places in the city.  You just have to be creative.  Canyons are the best.




 We don't always romp in our Sunday clothes.  The just happened to be a "Hey! let's go to the tunnel!  Okay!" kind of moment.  So we went.
 And sometimes, in urban settings, nature bumps right up against...nurture?  Or, the golf course.

 The tunnel!  This runs under the Switzer Canyon bridge, connecting the two sides of the canyon.  It's just long enough, so that it is just dark enough in the very middle, to be just scary enough.
 But she ain't sceerd.








Family photo compliments of August.  I suggested Mike grow a mustache for Christmas.  He obliged.  I always say 2 things about mustaches: 90% of firemen have them and most guys (except firemen) who have them look shifty.  While he had it, I didn't think Mike looked very shifty.  Looking back in pictures, he definitely does.
I'll get you more pictures of the actual scenery next time.  Clearly this post is a little people-heavy.  But they're my people and I like takin' their pichur.

No comments: