The Bub's Birthday

I am only somewhat embarassed to admit that I call my son "Bubbilicious." Maybe it is the East Tennessee in me - Bubba...and the cuteness in him that I just want to eat up - licious. Either way, it is silly and, to save Mike's reputation, I don't think I have ever heard him call Joseph by "Bubbilicious." Most of the time, though, we just call him "Bub" and it is cutest when Olivia says it. Speaking of Olivia, can you read her mind in these pictures? During the singing of "Happy Birthday," we kept having to remind her to sing - she couldn't take her eyes off the CAKE!!!





I have to admit that sometimes I struggle with how to create meaningful traditions for my children. I find that I get so bogged down in the daily routine that I forget to make things special or intentional. I'll get through an entire day and wonder where did I purposefully train in righteousness or teach them about God's love for them? I desparately hope that I am modeling that even when I am not thinking about it, but honestly I think I am often more purposeful about minimzing chaos and "getting things done." Olivia looks at me EVERY night while I am preping dinner and says, "Hold me" and I always say, "If you want supper I can't hold you right now." And I ALWAYS feel guilty because the truth is sometimes I would rather hold her than cook supper - and I love to cook. Sometimes, when things are getting hairy and I have had to redirect Olivia and Joseph for the 100th time away from something they should not be doing and tension and voices are rising, Olivia will suddenly break into "Jesus Loves Me." (And it is the Olivia version with long vowels: "Jeeeeeeeeeeesus loves me....") I am supposed to be training in righteousness and she is reminding me of God's love for us.

I started out talking about traditions, but what I think I meant was perspective...priorities...values. Joseph is one year old. One. What does a one-year-old need for his birthday? A few warm, nutritious meals, some breast milk, a bit of predictable routine and a bit of fun, his goofy sister, and his broken but redeemed parents. He won't remember anything else, but he would notice if those other things were missing. We got him a book. A very simple, beautfully illustrated book about baby animals that we hope he will soon love as much as his sister (real baby animals that is). But for now he just likes to chew on the book. We got him a cake because, well two reasons: 1. I was hungry for sweets when I was shopping at Trader Joe's and 2. I figured you had to have a picture of your one-year-old eating a sugar loaded, overly processed cake for his first birthday. But more than anything I just want to hear him sing, with his sister, "Jesus Loves Me" at the top of his lungs. I want him to know what is important - not necessarily minimized chaos or accomplished tasks or supper on time or the perfect birthday party. Better than any of that his Jesus loves him and that puts everything else in perspective.

No comments: