Parenting that motivates

"We sometimes rely too much on talking to our children. Covenant identity is something they need to see modeled before them. They need to see that we love our God, that we talk with him, that we walk before him with conscious awareness of his eye upon us that we enjoy worshiping him, that we treasure his name upon us, that we admire his works, that we hope in his promises, that we listen to his Word, that we work for him, that we identify ourselves with his people, their history, and their future, and that we love righteousness and hate sin. One who is unmotivated cannot motivate. If our children do not see us moved by God's creating us and covenanting with us, they will never be enthusiastic about these things. Our being who we are will help them understand and embrace who they are."

This was forwarded to me months ago (from an OPC website I think) from a friend. I find this impossible and empowering all at the same time. Impossible because I see my own lazy, unmotivated heart and fear I will never motivate enough. Empowering because really the most that is required of me is to seek hard after the One who has sought after me and my parenting will follow suit. No magic formulas, disciplining tricks, sure things to change their hearts. THAT is impossible. But Christ. He changes us both.

No comments: