Welcome to the world baby girl


Whew. It is odd how I remember the uncomfortableness of pregnancy stronger than I remember the pain of labor. Maybe because it lasted longer. But the end/beginning was in sight here and we were excited...and a bit tired. It was about 11:30 p.m. We deliberated for a couple of hours whether or not to go to the hospital. With Joseph coming so quickly, we were nervous to push it. In the end we decided it was better to call our friend Sarah (who was going to stay with the kids) at 11:00 at night than 2 in the morning. So here we were.
Ruth. The best labor and delivery nurse in the world. She is a young widowed mother of three daughters. She works two 12 hour weekend shifts so she can stay home with her girls through the week. I am sad to say I do not have a very good picture of her. You will have to believe me though that she was beautiful, in many ways. She had all the great Mexican features of long, thick dark hair and smooth, dark skin. She loved her job. She was a true servant. That is her elbow below. Can't you tell how great she was?

So this picture was taken when we arrived in L/D. She was checking vitals and then I was free to roam. The doctor on call came in to inform me that he was there to "check my cervix and break my water." Not a question, a statement. I told him I would rather he didn't and asked if we could have a minute to try to get things started on our own. Clearly annoyed, he said that I had two children at home and should not still be pregnant and he could "put you out of your misery, but if you want to prolong this that is your decision." Such a sweet man. Said he had a c-section to do and would be back in 45.

We all but ran up and down the hallway for 45 minutes. Nothing. I was contracting regularly, but she wasn't coming down and my water was still in tact. When he returned, I shared my fear of ending up in a c-section if he broke my water and my labor stalled or the cord came out first. He assured me he would not break my water unless her head was right at my cervix and he promised that she would be here in an hour if he did. That was 2:54 a.m.

And this is what he started, real labor. And now I know what my brother was talking about when we were kids and he said I made a face that looked like a cat when I was mad. I wasn't mad here, but apparently it is a face of pain as well.

3:55 a.m. Apparently he wasn't too confident in his prediction because he missed most of the birth. (By the way, no fear in looking at the picture below. There is nothing gross or immodest. Only baby and doctor/nurse hands.) Note his ungloved hands and all that was left of Greta to be delivered - her feet. Those are Ruth's hands - one behind Greta's head and the other holding her leg. Despite all my sass about Dr. O'Hara, he was very professional and did a great job...for what he made it for. He had a nice smile too - he should use it more often.

So, this is the reason (well, not the only one) that we go the natural delivery route. Look at that enormous contraption on my arm! I do not like needles or the pain they bring. I whined more about this i.v. port than anything else I think. Epidural? Ugh, no way. (However, I might change my mind if my labor lasted longer than a minute like it has so far.)
And here she is. Weighing in a whole pound bigger than Joseph who was 12 ounces bigger than his big sister. Suppose we could get an 8 pounder if we keep trying.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Mandy, congrats on your little one! And way to stand up to your doctor! I'm so nervous about that. I want to have a natural delivery and I'm hoping I won't get too much attitude. Will keeps reminding me it's all in God's hands. Too true! God is good! So glad you all are healthy and well. Lindsey