Second Annual Last Minute Costume Mayhem

Well, we did it again. Last year was such a "success" (see Joseph below: the hand-me-down zebra), we decided to come up with Olivia's costume the day of. Don't get me wrong (those of you who know us won't), we had plenty of time. Olivia said months ago that she wanted to be a macaw. In fact a pattern has emerged - whatever major theme we are using for school influences her costume choice. Last year it was zoo - thus the zebra. This year we are studying birds. So, as much as I do not enjoy going to Wal-Mart (despite my southern roots where Wal-Mart is the Sax of the South), here I was again armed with a request and a...oops, no credit card. On the way to Wal-Mart I have to admit I had a skip in my step, energized by last year's success. But as I drove all the way back home to get my credit card I was murmuring something like, "Whose dumb idea was this? Why in the world would we wait until the last minute?! Why does this always happen?!" Always? I am such an exaggerater when I am frustrated.

Mike was the hero this year. The wings made the outfit. And Joseph wore the zebra well. And Baby G...well you'll see. Below is sweet Lou from across the street. Proud to say his dad made his costume too! An airplane. Looked awesome. Only problem was it weighed about 50 pounds and Lou only made a couple of houses before they had to carry it for him. Very cute. We love Lou...and his parents. They are subleasing August's house while they are in Germany. They are from South Carolina. It is nice to have a shared accent on the street.
Lou being stalked by a macaw. (You would never know it from the back, but Leigh Ann was pregnant. Now Lou has a baby brother Bert. Cute.)

The best part of trick or treating this year was Joseph running back after every house yelling, "Ta da!" and holding up the loot from that house. Every house he did that.
This is Lu Lu. (Lot a Lou's around here). Her full name is Lunette. She is Frank and Irma's (next door) great granddaughter (one of them anyway, they have a million). She is the cutest chunky monkey you ever saw...especially with that pencil thin.
We had the best time this year. We went with Frank and Irma's grand kids and their kids. Lana (below) is Olivia's age and they have become fast friends. Lana lives in Palmdale and only visits every few months, but they are joined at the hip when she is here.


You can blow this up and see the pumpkin O and Joe created with Mike.
You can blow this up too - this line of people went down our walk to the side walk and down to Frank and Irma's. It was crazy. Once, when walking back from taking a few pictures, I passed two old ladies coming down the steps with trick or treat bags! No lie. I don't even think they were dressed up. I don't remember now. But one of them was holding on the railing and I thought I might need to help her. No shame for candy around here.
So there it is. We'll see what happens next year...

1 comment:

sammye said...

Joe looks like he's saying, "nice blades". Cute pictures, thanks for posting and sharing the stories.