Pondering the Porch

I wanted to post this picture for several reasons:
1. Proof that I wasn't lying about squirrels eating pumpkins! Can you see that? Dumb squirrel!
2. Because I know there are at least three people out there (Amy, Alice, and my mom) who will appreciate my fall display.
3. Because it is a display of what I love (fall and orange and mums) in front of something that I am growing to love - this house. The past year and a half has probably presented some of the biggest challenges I have experienced - spiritually, emotionally, relationally, mentally. Rehabbing this house has challenged my patience, my lack of forgiveness, our parenting, our marriage, my contentment (where I find it), the list could go on. I have wanted it faster. I have wanted it cleaner. I have wanted it homey-er. I have wanted a bedroom with a door on it. I have wanted out. But here we lived for this very long year plus so that "steadfastness could have its full effect." (James 1:4) James says that the "full effect" is that we would be "perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." That is nearly impossible for me to grasp since I have spent the last year lacking in so many ways. And I'm not talking about lacking things like a bedroom with a door on it - though that has surely been inconvenient. No, I have lacked grace toward my husband, patience with my children, faithfulness in my friendships, humility, repentance. But I look at this porch and I know the neighbors who live just to the right. The ones who delight in watching our children grow and bring them presents and share our cupcakes. I look at this porch and I know there are 12 tulip bulbs hidden deep beneath the weeds that we call a front yard that will silently appear next spring as reminder that our God manages the seasons - the ones in our lives and the ones in creation. I look at this porch and I remember two cold Januarys ago when it was covered in the nasty, smelly carpet Mike and Mark laboriously ripped from this house to make way for the restoration that would soon begin. I look at this porch and I remember that HE has been steadfast toward ME and THAT is how steadfastness (perseverance) can complete its work in me so that I may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

"I will recount the steadfast love of the Lord, to the praises of the Lord, according to all that the Lord has granted us, and the great goodness to the house of Israel that he has granted them according to his compassion, according to the abundance of his steadfast love." Isaiah 63:7

This porch reminds me of a lot of things and that is why I wanted to post it.

5 comments:

Lori said...

Great post Mandy...it encouraged me tonight as I read it. I appreciated your realness.

sammye said...

Hey Mandy:
You are right i do appreciate your fall decorations. I especially like the symetry (sp) of it :) I love it when my children hear the voice of the Lord on their own. I'm sure that most parents would desire this. God speaks to us so strongly through His word and if you had not been in that bible study you possibly would have missed the richness of what He wanted to teach you. I'm proud of you. Great pictures of the kids. I miss my sugars... One thing about those frog boots, they just go with EVERYTHING don't they? Mom

Jenny said...

Hi Mandy,
I, too, appreciate your porch and it's decorations...I'm jealous you have one. I enjoyed reading your post a lot. Very well said. I found your blog through Sarah Hager's and have enjoyed keeping up with your family. I'm going to pass it on to my mom so maybe she won't miss her old church people so much! Jenny (Davis) Vogel

Sage said...

Thanks for sharing, Mandy. Where do I begin... let's just say if I was ever put in that situation I would go absolutely nuts. I could hardly handle it when our bathroom was being worked on for a week. One of my biggest struggles is contentment. But you are a good example to me. (even if you may not think so)

we are the spencers said...

mandy,

don't know if you remember me, i used to watch olivia during bible study last spring at covenant church and she played with my daughter eva. i am enjoying reading your blog and seeing your kids. they are so cute!