Hiking with The Cousins Eddie

Columbia has this great warehouse sale in St. Louis twice a year and just before we moved I picked up these ensembles - his and hers Cousin Eddie hats with matching gloves. I think I paid like $3 for each set.A couple of weeks ago we went up to Palomar Mountain. It is about 2 hours outside the city and about 5,000 feet up. Usually they have snow, but not while we were there. There is a Christian retreat center that gives discounts to pastors. We didn't stay the night this time, just hiked, but I am looking forward to spending a weekend there sometime soon.
All that dead stuff in front of Joe and me is fern. You can see a live one in the front of the picture. I don't know what killed them, but I love ferns and I bet they were so beautiful on that hill.


The kids did great. We made them walk all the way down. We found some deer tracks to follow and Joseph had to poop once so that kept things exciting. I was wandering out to explore the trail a little when I heard Joseph say, "I need to poop." I pretended not to hear and kept walking. Then I heard Mike say, "Okay kids, I'm going to teach something about hiking in the woods." I stayed gone long enough for all business to be taken care of.


A meadow on a mountain top.
Okay, so I have been beyond tired lately. Don't know if it is pregnancy low iron, or pregnancy at 34 with 2 small children, or I am weakling. Anyway, this was a pretty good day - but hiking back up the mountain with a 30+ pounder on my back....well, honestly I said I was fine, but Mike didn't like how the pack was wrapped around my belly...and the fact that I was wheezing. Geez, 34! That's it! And I have wheezing lately like...like something that wheezes a lot. California has given rebirth to all the allergies I ever had. So he doubled up. Olivia complained about Joseph's butt being in her face the whole time, but otherwise it worked out fine and I felt horribly guilty for being so weak.

I at least got to bring him in the last leg.

We ended a great day with them snugly in bed...Olivia in her Cousin Eddie hat and gloves, picking her nose. I'll spare you the picture.

No comments: