Observe these things

"Whoever is wise will observe these things, and he will understand the lovingkindness of the Lord." Psalm 107:43

I used to be obsessed with a certain blog that will go unnamed (mostly because most of you already know what it is). But I am starting to understand (I think) why I enjoyed reading it so much. I so often find myself bogged down in daily struggles - disobedience, bickering, stuff to do, my own attitude - and I neglect to observe or pay attention to "these things" - God's faithful things - the peaceful moments, the funny ones, or the ones when everyone is attentive or interested. Instead I dwell too often on the negative and allow Satan a foothold in my mind and attitude.

The woman who writes unsaid blog spends a lot of time focusing on the positive. She writes about the seasons and creation (though she does not acknowledge a Creator) and her family in them. She photographs it and thinks about it and longs for it to come again, misses it when its over, but totally enjoys every moment of it while it is here.

In some ways I feel like she is a better steward of life and creation than many Christians I know, including myself.

This isn't the exact application of the passage above. David is really telling us to look at the ways of God with man. When we sin or rebel or wander or are dishonest or are oppressed - when we cry out to him, he hears and praiseworthy are his steadfast love and deeds toward us. We would be wise to observe them.

"The lovingkindness of the Lord is shown in a thousand ways and if we will but watch carefully we will come to a better understanding of it." C.H. Spurgeon

Maybe I should see if I can count a thousand...


2 comments:

Sage said...

Mandy- I think you are right about "unsaid blog" but remember- her blog isn't her whole life, and she can pick and choose what she shares with the rest of the world. She chooses to only focus on the positive on her blog, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she doesn't have a daily struggle with her attitude in her own life. Does that make sense? I agree we get much too bogged down with what we see as negative, but don't put her on a pedestal.

btw: how was house-hunters? since we don't have cable I asked my sister to watch and tape it for me.

Sage said...

P.S. We miss you and can't wait to see you when you come to STL!