Distractions

Just so you don't think we are spending all of our time trying to catch a mouse (or whining about it) - we do have a few projects in the works around here. I drew a tree on a piece of paper and Olivia used her new cookie cutters from Mimi to decorate it. They are great, Mims - thanks! We even used our tree i.d. tags to figure out what the leaf cookie cutters were - such nerds.















I have nervously started my own project. I think I am a closet crafter. I have always wanted to be one, but
1. I was afraid I didn't have what it took to pull it off.
2. I didn't want to be labeled and get the reputation of a crafter because, let's face it - those of you who are true blue crafters have issues (as I clearly do).
3. I was afraid I would get sucked into the crafting vortex and never get anything else accomplished - like when I graduated from seminary and decided to learn two new skills (in case a career as a therapist didn't work out) - I took a few golf lessons and I learned to crochet. Well I couldn't afford to golf and truth is I wasn't that good (too bad for Mike), but the crocheting took over my life. I think I made about 60 baby blankets. Any spare or not so spare moment I had I was doing one more row - just one more row!!!
4. And finally I had two small incidents in high school that sort of tainted crafting for me...actually three now that I think of it. The first, a homemade earring "business" I started with a girlfriend in middle school never got off the ground - failure. The second, I dropped out of home economics in high school because after three weeks we were still running notebook paper through the sewing machines learning to sew in straight lines. I didn't have time for that (I also clearly have pride issues) - failure. And finally, that same year my parents bought me a sewing machine so I could make my prom dress. Don't laugh (and don't think my parents were the kind to buy us any little thing we wanted for hair brained ideas - they weren't). I had it all scetched out - it was going to be a tank type dress of light blue with white sequen daises with yellow centers. Possibly I should have gone into fashion designing and not longed for crafting. Nevertheless, I attempted a "simple" halter shirt before diving into the prom dress. It was supposed to have a zipper in the back, but I got a little antsy to wear it and just sewed up the back thinking, "Is the zipper all that necessary?" Well, apparently it was necessary because once I got it on I couldn't get it off. My mother had to cut it off me - failure. My crafting future was doomed.

But having children has inspired me again. Mike actually got me a sewing machine for my birthday - I couldn't believe my parents sold my old one in a garage sale years ago. I have to admit, though that I have been afraid of my new sewing machine. It sat in the box for a few weeks - while we found a place to put it. Then it sat on the table for a few weeks - while I found time to skim the manual. I finally threaded it last week. Now for the notebook paper! But while I am building my nerve to start sewing again, I started this little project for Olivia's birthday. It is from a fun book that Mike also got me for my birthday.










































I'll post the finished project and the birthday girl later today.

3 comments:

Rose and Turtle said...

Are you going to put a zipper in this? ... just in case!

Jeremy, Lisa, and Madeleine said...

What is that??? The Burger King crown laying flat? Will you sew something for the mouse also?

Michael and Mandy said...

I'll sew something closed for you. :)