Lasagna

Maybe one day I will take more pictures of food and cooking - like after I have taken a cooking class and a photography class. I love reading cooking blogs. I love watching the creation of a great dish unfold in the pictures. Pioneer Woman does a great job with this - you can google her. I always forget how to put links in. I know our blog is supposed to be mostly about the kids for the grandparents, but because I know there is at least one person reading this (Veerman) whose mouth will water over bad pictures of good food I wanted to post these. It is a lasagna recipe I got from Gluten Free Girl (another great food blog - though we aren't gluten free).














I don't know if I have ever made lasagna from scratch - sauce and everything. I always thought it was too much work - and it is too much work, but this was so worth it. It called for ground pork or veal and ground beef. TJ's didn't have the first so I had to get ground turkey. Turkey is a bird
that is not meant to be ground - it is gross. I think next time I will use sausage - that will be great!














Obviously, these pictures are the making of the sauce. You do use one can of crushed tomatoes, but the rest is all fresh - onion, garlic, herbs from our garden, tomatoes. It isn't even really that complicated, but I think it is how you layer all the ingredients as you cook that makes the flavors so rich and smell so great!














When you layer it you use fresh mozzerella and fresh grated parmesean. I splurged for those knowing we would get several meals out of this and feed some company too. It was done at 4:00 in the afternoon and I nearly sat down and ate it right then. Sorry I didn't take a picture of the finished product - I was really distracted by how hungry I was and how good it looked and smelled.

I am somewhat annoyed to say that Ridley liked it too. After Mike and Joseph ate lunch yesterday, Mike went to put Joe down and came back to a large lasagna noodle on the kitchen floor and a very subsurvient dog. That was the only evidence that she was actually in the dish - she must have used her claws and gingerly picked the noodle out. Mike said he will still eat the last piece of lasagna today for lunch. I said, "You're darn right! That was a lot of work and we (the humans) are eating every bite of it!"

2 comments:

Amy Veerman said...

YUM!! I was going to try to one-up you tonight, but couldn't find the digital camera while I was cooking. I'll try to give you the picture in less than 1000 words: chicken, fresh spinach sauteed with leeks and garlic, sun dried tomatoes, feta, and pasta stirred together and baked with toasted walnuts on top. Actually, yours sounds better, but this was pretty good :)

Michael and Mandy said...

Just wanted to confirm that the last piece (which Ridley sampled) was just as good as the first.
Mike