Context is king

I learned in college hermenuetics class that context is king when interpreting the Scriptures. It is also king when interpreting the songs of your three-year-old. We have a lot of lines put to music around here. Par exemple: "My dog has fleas." "That is mine, let go." - to list a couple. Tonight on the way home from church Olivia breaks into this diddy:

"I can only see myself,
I cannot see anathing.
I can only see me, me, me.
The stars are dark; I can't see anybody else.
If you do not go to sleep you will get arrested,
and you will not go to church."

I was thinking to myself, why that is a little narcissistic. And where did she learn about being arrested? But, if you are riding home in the dark and the stars aren't out...you can't see "anathing" but yourself. And if your mother threatens that if you do not actually sleep during nap time today, then you will not be able to go to evening church. She actually meant "will not get a rested." (Mike suggested that and then I asked her - that is what she clarified.) Once again, context is king in interpretation.

Note: I do not normally threaten our children with not being able to go to church. We had already attended a morning service and if she does not "get a rested" on Sunday's she is a bear before we get home after the evening service. It is for her own good (and mine) that we stay home on days like that.

She slept...we went...she is sleeping again...and I am headed there myself.

No comments: