Fair to compare?

We finally visited the Quail Botanical Garden about 20 minutes north of us in Encinitas. I think I had subconsciously put it off because I was afraid it would make me cry missing our friends and our Shaw Garden - that and it is only free once a month and last Tuesday was it. We were not disappointed, though it wasn't quite the same not having Annika and Lauren there begging for snacks :) I took a ton of pictures and I think I will just post them over the next week. I naively assumed that there was not as much variety here on the West Coast - so wrong. I am learning so much. So, here is a view of the ocean from the Garden.Any of you use Agave Nectar as a sweetener? (I recommend it for baking and on pancakes and in tea. I doesn't necessarily have less calories - it just isn't processed and it metabolizes more slowly in your body - good if you have diabetes or maybe don't want your kids to wig out so fast after Saturday morning pancakes.) This is an agave plant - the big, green, spiky one.
This is a...tree that I didn't think I would forget the name of...it was something that sounded like dragon. It has red sap and the sap is used to stain stradivarius violins. Interesting.
This is a little boy crunching leaves - he found some to crunch.
They even have a children's garden. It didn't quite compare to Shaw, but we aren't complaining.
And the most beautiful caterpillar.
More later...

3 comments:

sammye said...

Our world is so diverse isn't it? I hope Joe didn't get excited and step onthe c. piller.

Michael and Mandy said...

you know, he isn't a big fan of bugs - i think he gets that from me - he wouldn't hold it. I did the good mother thing and picked it up so he wouldn't be afraid, but he still wouldn't touch it.

sammye said...

Oh yeh, he is the one who screamed when the plastic bug feel off the stick.